Outsourcing Best Practices
Outsourcing has been widely debated and analysed. It definitely has many pros and cons, but the idea is to find the business model that suits your purposes right. Being a trained player on the software outsourcing arena, Codespring management team has outlined a set of best practices and how tos.
The following lines resume a 15 years expertise and hard-work in software development outsourcing:
1. Define your project:
- Outline your idea and try to make a list of priorities;
- Analyse the way you want to undertake remote work: nearshore or offshore;
- If the project is unclear and will be subject to consistent changes, try the agile method and ask for prototyping;
- Use the same document when asking for software development outsourcing offers;
2. Select the right outsourcing partner:
- Make a list with all essential selection criteria (industry / technology / consultancy capability / communication language / required HR / interview availability / team continuity, etc.);
- Request for quotes, ask for references, plan a visit and make a trial project;
- Set a post-trial project analysis and highlight lessons learned; Take a decision.
3. Fine tune the cooperation:
- Set clear responsibilities;
- Choose the software development method that suits you best;
- Draw the way for team collaboration;
- Specify how the teams will be formed;
- Set each party’s contribution to the projects infrastructure;
4. Control the process:
- Set and follow the development plan;
- Set stand-up meetings, weekly status reports and set a permanent contact person;
- Point out potential issues and communicate them in order to get them solved.
The list itself is not exhaustive, but it will definitely serve you as a guide for entering in an outsourcing agreement. Hoping that this information puts a new light on the software outsourcing process, follow us to find out more on this particular topic.