Cluj-Napoca: European Youth Capital 2015
Cluj-Napoca, ranked 2nd city of Romania has been appointedEuropean Youth Capital for 2015. The European Youth Capital (abbreviated EYC) is the title awarded to a European city for the period of one year, during which it is given the chance to showcase, through a multi-faceted programme, its youth-related cultural, social, political and economic life and development. This will translate into a year-long row of events, project, and cooperation happening in Cluj-Napoca or connected with a city but in the region, country or even other parts of Europe.
According to the official page www.cluj2015.ro the mission of the project is “to strengthen the role and support the active participation of young people and youth organizations in creating the change in our society through the process of sustainable, responsible and inclusive urban development by sharing our space, culture, power, work, joy, vision and common European values, addressing topics such as youth empowerment, advocacy, mobility, structured dialogue and information, under a yearlong program in Cluj-Napoca”.
The main objectives of Cluj 2015 – European Youth Capital are:
- to involve the local community in youth related projects and activities,
- to become a yearlong European center for major youth events, meetings, conferences,
- to activate youth and their organizations in the process of urban development in Cluj-Napoca,
- to enhance sustainable cooperation between local (Cluj-Napoca), national (Romania) and European organizations,
- to increase the level of knowledge of European youth regarding Cluj-Napoca and Transylvania,
- to include Cluj-Napoca in European networks of cooperation in the youth field and other sectors,
- to create a sustainable partnership between local authorities, youth NGOs, and other institutions with responsibilities in the youth field,
- to create sustainable youth screening mechanisms and creating better career-opportunities for talented youth,
- to create necessary conditions for supporting innovative, creative ideas of and to youth in an initial phase,
- to create sustainable financial mechanisms for supporting youth projects, structures.
As a member of the local community we salute this initiative and are cheerleading for its overall success.